As part of the Coalition Government, Nick is creating thousands of new jobs and opportunities in Sheffield.
Billions is being invested to improve Sheffield’s streets, rail links and public transport. All of which had been neglected in the 13 years of a Labour Government. Along with other national policies, this is helping to create thousands of new jobs for our City. Examples include:
- The Coalition Government funded £2 billion project to repair every single road, pavement and streetlight in Sheffield. It is estimated the ‘streets ahead’ project will create at an extra 500 local new jobs.
- Sheffield’s ‘City Deal’, which could be worth £500m to our region. This provides extra investment to create thousands of new apprenticeship posts, improve transport links and kick-start the redevelopment of the city centre.
- Millions to help Sheffielders travel around more easily, including nearly £30m for new sustainable transport, £58m for a new tram/train scheme and £19.4m for ‘Bus Rapid Transit’ scheme.
- A £10m new Sheffield University Technical College that will give 100’s youngsters a route into work through vocational training.
- Huge improvements to rail services, including electrifying the Midland Mainline and improving links to Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds.
Nationally Liberal Democrats are tackling youth unemployment by creating a £1 billion Youth Contract, which guarantees every young person an apprenticeship, work placement or training. We now have more new apprentices than ever before.
We are creating 100,000′s jobs and supporting local growth through our Regional Growth Fund. This fund has allocated £2.4 billion to 176 companies outside of London, including many in Sheffield, to support innovative new projects.
As part of the Coalition, we are helping small business by cutting bureaucracy, increasing lending from banks and helping them export to other countries.